|Posted by Ivarr Bergmann on December 22, 2016 at 4:00 AM|
(Some picture may be off. Im waiting for Photobucket to catch up to the edits)
I call this a wehrwolf suit because when I got done sewing it, it instantly reminded me of the old school B&W films with the hairy werewolf and his shredded clothing. It stuck in my head and remained there. This is not a Ghillie suit used by snipers. Im not a sniper so I have no need for a Ghillie suit. Those are used for a totally different reason. The "camo rag" is meant for a more mobile use, Its meant to give me the ability to better match the ever changing terrain I inevitably run into here in Alaska. Its meant to be simple, utilitarian, hard wearing and above all have the ability to be worn or packed in my ruck with as little burden as possible.
How the smock orginally looked..
How the smock orginally looked..
The "Wehrwolf Camouflage Rag...."
It offers a plethora of camouflage patterns combined with irregular shapes for the best possible brake up and terrain matching that I can get from the materials I had on hand. Whats more is I had lots of double sided German camo to further the effort of staying invisible.. This was my last attempt at a serviceable "rag". After this I was pretty much out of the good materials unless I lay soemthing else to the shears for the greater good.
The rag suit itself is based on what remains of a Flecktarn KSK smock made by Sturm. It was a good smock. As good as any produced by a 1st world military. Sadly (sorta) it had a catastrophic failure when the open arm zipper caught me when I had a fall on the side of a cliff. It ripped clean down to the bottom front pocket. So now I'm making use of whats survived..
I added a center pocket for my GPS and moved some buttons around. The front zipper was totally removed. Its loose fitting to get at kit and clothing under the Rag. I also added some camouflage foliage loops from an old SS smock. These were added to the front shoulders.
I also removed the Flecktarn hood and replaced it with a Swamp pattern German hood from another garment to further break up the shape of a man by negating a continuous base pattern. I adorned it with some scrap camouflage net and the usual camouflage strip applied in the same fashion as on the body. I was careful not to apply the camouflage on as to form a pattern. It too was broken up in an opposite fashion to its corresponding side.
By sewing the pre-cut strip in irregular direction it bends and morphs the pattern even further for better distortion and break-up. I was careful to not make them too long as to cause a tangle liability but I also kept them long enough to offer the proper amount of required break-up. I was also careful to not cover the existing foliage loops incase I needed them at some point. (if the above pics are off, they will fix themselves later)
The suit itself retrained a few handy utilitarian aspects of the original smock. For example I repaired the arm pit zipper so I can vent in hot weather and I also retained the 4 chest pockets it was originally manufactured with. The smock was size large but was every bit of a XXL in reality so there's a lot of room to get under it with my webbing on w/o choking constriction.
In this picture I am wearing my webbing and a shoulder holster with an attached knife. It works together. There's no over loading or bulking up issues. However I have not made this compatable with a rucksack. Generally if i wear it with a rucksack I drape it over it.
Homemade Creeping Gloves
One continuing problem is the short life span of camouflage face paint on the hands. When the hammer drops this will be worse becuase there will be none to go buy at the store. Whats more is keeoping the hands painted is just one more thing to keep track of. I moved to produce a solution to this issue for myslef. I made some light weight camouflage gloves. They needed to be extremely light weight, they needed not to interfere with my finger dexterity or sensation of feel. I used existing materials I had on hand and went to it on the sewing machine..
Trace and cut and less then 30 seconds on the sewing machine...
I made two sides of each pattern. German Flecktarn and German Marsh pattern.
In the end with some trimming and fitting either glove will fit either hand. This is uber convenient. Whats more is I can have a choice of what pattern to use in different terrains by simply flipping them over to the opposite hand. They are roomy enough to get a set of wool inserts under them in cooler weather. Sadly they will not be suitable for real cold weather unless I'm constantly moving.. The gloves are stored in the breast pocket of the suit for ease of keeping track of them.
Necessity is the mother of creation. A well honed imagination will take an Evader far.
Categories: Kit Posts